11 Resolutions Worth Making and Keeping


I like to set measurable goals for myself throughout the year. September actually feels like more of a New Year to me than January. I'm sure it's because I went to school or was involved in education for most of my life. But I do make resolutions or set goals for myself in January as well. 

Resolutions CAN work if they are positive, realistic, specific and change how you feel. People often say things like 
“I want to fit into a pair of small jeans.” or 
“I’m going to stop smoking.” 
This year instead of body shaming or trying to change yourself, change how you feel about yourself (and others) FIRST by doing some of the simple things on this list. 
The following resolutions take minimal time and will give you maximum results.
You can do these immediately which will give you a huge, positive boost to accomplishing even bigger goals. 


1. CUT NEGATIVITY OUT OF YOUR SOCIAL MEDIA

Spend a little time unfollowing toxic people and pages- People and groups who bring you down or foster negativity and drama.
It's important to follow current events and be involved. However, if you are having difficulty coping with your own life right now- are overwhelmed, fighting depression, a major disease or going through a long-term relationship break-up... and the news is only bringing you down more, consider taking a break from all negative and worrisome media until you are in a better frame of mind. My thinking is 
"If I'm not doing something about a concerning current issue or praying about it or for the people involved, I shouldn't be paying too much attention to it." 
Simply watching the distress of other people can actually make you less empathetic as well.

2. EXERCISE WITH YOUR KIDS, FAMILY OR FRIENDS

I can't stress enough the importance of exercising and being active with your children. Not only do you get a good workout but you get to spend extra time with them and you won't believe the positive influence you will have on them and their health habits. My children all say they follow a healthy lifestyle because of the example I showed them. Yay me for doing one thing right Lol.
And exercising with others helps keeps us accountable and gives us more positive, social time which is so important for our health.

3. EAT HEALTHY 80% OF THE TIME AND THE FOOD YOU LOVE 

Food is a major part of life and should be a pleasure and something we enjoy with loved ones. Stop eating stuff you can't stand just because it's supposed to be good for you and is the latest health rage. There are so many healthy foods out there, you will find enough that you enjoy and will give you at least most of the nutrients you need. Don't deprive yourself of your favourite treats either. Just eat them mindfully, in moderation and not to stuff emotions. 
I believe happy, relaxed people who enjoy their food, and might have a little extra weight, are often healthier than slim people who are more uptight, deprive themselves of food they love and avoid social settings so they won't be tempted to cheat.

(Mmm... caprese stuff! One of my favourite foods!) 


4. STOP JUDGING OTHERS

I think we all know what this means. 
Interesting fact. Mental health professionals have learned that what we judge in others, we often do ourselves and are struggling to come to terms with. We do this unconsciously. So the next time you start judging someone, ask yourself what about that person's behaviour is bothering you, if you have the same personality trait or behaviour, or would actually like to behave the same way. You will realize that sometimes the person you are judging is not even doing something wrong but they are doing something you would like to do but aren't brave enough to do.

5. GET DRESSED AS SOON AS YOU WAKE UP

I can't believe how much this simple habit changed my life! I felt so much more awake and motivated and got so much more done when I started to get completely dressed and did my hair and face before I left my bedroom. I never noticed the mental drag it was on me when I would do some laundry, cleaning or office work in my PJs.

6. ALWAYS HAVE A WORKOUT BAG READY TO GO

Or lay out your workout clothes the night before or even sleep in them if you work out at home. Have your sports equipment organized and ready to grab and go, or even in your vehicle. Have healthy snacks and water bottles ready to go as well. I try to wear walking shoes or have some in my vehicle at all times so I can go for a quick walk if I have spare time or someone else wants to go for a walk. I'm always so disappointed if I am out and about and miss a walk or an activity because I didn't have the proper shoes.

7. VOLUNTEER

8. DO SOMETHING THAT SCARES YOU

Stepping out of my comfort zone and doing things that I know little or nothing about or frightens me, such as parasailing or organizing a big event, affects completely unrelated areas of my life. It wakes up my brain and body with electric zings, makes me happier and more confident which gives me the energy and courage to tackle other hard things in my life. 

Try to do something scary every week and something out of your comfort zone almost every day. You will be amazed at the change that will occur inside you and your life as a whole!


9. READ A BOOK, OR FIVE

Reading is hard. I've been told it's the most difficult mental task to master. It's also something very few people do anymore. We think we read and learn a lot by checking out news and articles on our smartphone or tablet, but it doesn't compare to reading through an entire book. 
Don't get discouraged if you want to stop after the first page or two. Your brain will be tired and tell you to stop. Keep pushing it just like you do when you begin to exercise. Your reading brain will strengthen like your muscles do with a new activity and before you know it will be reading entire books. Maybe even, big fat educational books :) 
If we read more our world would be a better place (history might not keep repeating itself), we would have more ideas to talk about instead of people, new things to try and places to go and just an all around more interesting and creative mind and life. 
At the very least, try reading the Bible if you are a Christian. Psalms, Proverbs, the Book of John, James...

10. DO THINGS THAT BRING YOU JOY

We plug along, work, do all the things we think we should do and are expected of us and don't take the time to creative, play and just enjoy life. When we do, we often feel guilty for "wasting" time. 
I often say "Let's work hard and then play hard." 
Take at least 15 minutes a day to do something that gives you joy. Not instant gratification but deep happiness and contentment. 

11. LET GO OF PERFECTION


Or thinking somehow you should be perfect or be able to do everything. You aren't and you can't, so relax.

NOTE: If you have a big goal, break it down into smaller monthly or weekly goals. 

And on a more personal note, I ask God what He wants me to do and then ask Him to help me and give me strength. 

“I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength.”
Philippians 4:13

Do you make New Year's Resolutions or do you set goals for yourself throughout the year? How do you remind yourself to reach your goals?

I hope you have the healthiest, happiest, most fulfilling year ever!

Comments