Easy Soup Stock Recipe

I wrongly assumed every cook knew how to make soup stock. A friend of mine, who is a good cook had never made soup stock and was surprised that it was so simple to make. So... I thought I would share an easy "recipe" that I always use. Great to make and have on hand, especially for cold and flu season. 

You don't have to wait until Christmas or Thanksgiving to roast a turkey. I was a little surprised when I friend shared that with me years ago Lol. It's a rather easy-to-cook supper when you leave out all the holiday trimmings, and it's great to have the leftovers for sandwiches, turkey enchiladas, casseroles, salads etc. 

When I roast a turkey or whole chicken, I usually cook up a yummy broth to use for gravy and soup a few days later. I freeze any extra broth in freezer containers to use at a later date. I don't really measure the water or ingredients but the list below should give you a delicious broth. 
 
     (The Edie's Everyday watermark is from a blog I started years ago.)

 Easy Soup Stock

16 cups water
Raw chicken or turkey pieces that you don't usually serve or eat, such as the neck or back
2 onions, quartered
2 large carrots, quartered and halved
2 large stalks celery, cut in large pieces (or the smaller, inner stalks with leaves which I like to use because I normally throw them out.)
10-15 peppercorns,
2-4 bay leaves, depending on size
3-5 star anise
Parsley, optional
1 tbsp. salt
1-2 cloves garlic, optional (I don't usually add this to the big pot, but I will add to smaller portions for certain recipes, like Easy Double Chicken Soup.

Fill a Dutch oven with cold water and add the rest of the ingredients. Heat on high until the water begins to boil. Turn to Low and simmer for a long time! 4 hours is recommended to get out more nutrients from the bones such as collagen, but I've made good broth in an hour when I've been in a hurry. Simmer at least until the vegetables are completely cooked and very mushy. You might need to add more water if you simmer it for a long time.

Remove from burner and allow to cool. Pour through strainer and return the broth to oven to use as a soup or use some for a gravy base. Freeze leftovers. 

Method 2: Simmer the water, meat and salt for about 1/2 hour before adding the rest of the ingredients if simmering for hours in order to retain more of flavour of the herbs.

Beyond Basics Cooking Tips: This recipe is easy to double if you have a large enough pot. Feel free to play around with the ingredients or the amount. You can't go wrong too easily. Add a cinnamon stick for Mennonite noodle soup and extra healing properties.
Also, if the meat I'm using ends up being quite fatty, I will chill the broth and remove the congealed fat that rises to the top for a low fat broth.

Beyond Basics Health & Nutrition Tip: Bone broth that has simmered for hours releases minerals and collagen, and is thought to improve gut health, reduce inflammation, strengthen the immune system, relieve joint pain and help heal damaged joints, supports healthy skin, and might even reduce the appearance of cellulite! Give me all the broth!

Do you ever make your own soup stock?


The information in my articles is NOT intended to replace a one-on-one relationship with a qualified health care professional and is not intended as medical advice.

Comments